ANALYSIS: Best Pay as You Go (PAYG) Mobile Plans (June 2017)
May 2017: We’ve updated this post for May 2017!
Don’t use your phone too often? Pay As You Go plans might be the best way for you to minimise your mobile phone bill. In this post, we’ve looked at Australia’s best value PAYG plans across all mobile networks – see which plan is the best option for you.
|Company||Plan||Type||Network||Credit||National Calls||National Text||International Text||Data||Excess Data||Price||Expiry||Other|
|Aldi||Link||PAYG||Prepaid||Telstra 4G||$0.12/min||$0.12||$0.12||5c/MB||365 days||$15 minimum recharge|
|Amaysim||Link||PAYG||Prepaid||Optus 4G||$0.11/min||$0.11||$0.12||7.2c/MB||60 days||$10 minimum recharge|
|Dodo||Link||PAYG||Prepaid||Optus 4G||$0.12/min||$0.12||$0.12||5c/MB||365 days||$10/60 day expiry, $30/90 day expiry, $50/180 day expiry, $100/365 days|
|Optus||Link||Long Expiry||Prepaid||Optus 4G||$0.20/min||$0.20||$0.20||5c/MB||60 days||$10 minimum recharge|
|Telstra||Link||Simplicity||Prepaid||Telstra 4G||$0.15||$0.12||$0.20||$0.10/MB||30 days||$20/30 days expiry, $30/60 days, $50/90 days, $100/180 days|
|Vodafone||Link||PAYG||Prepaid||Vodafone 4G||$0.20/min||$0.20||$0.20||2c/MB||365 days||$10 minimum recharge|
|Yomojo||Link||PAYG||Postpaid||Optus 4G||$0.11/min||$0.09||$0.09||5c/MB||90 days|
Analysis: The Option
The best option for you depends on how you use your phone:
- Need the best network coverage? Telstra Simplicity – for full access to Telstra‘s 3G and 4G Network
- Usually make calls within Australia? Yomojo or Dodo both charge $0.11 per minute with no connection fee.
- Text within Australia? Yomojo charge just $0.09 per national SMS
- Text internationally? Yomojo charges just $0.09 per international SMS
- Need Data? Vodafone charges the lowest rate at $0.02 per MB (charged in 512KB increments, with the first 2MB in each session free)
- Need long expiry? Amaysim offers 365 day expiry with just a $10 recharge.
Overall, Yomojo appears to be the best value option if you use your phone to call or text within Australia – charging the lowest rates for both national calls and SMS.
We can highly recommend Telstra for their relatively low rates, and their excellent network coverage.
Who offers the best value PAYG Mobile in Australia? We’d love to hear your thoughts, as well as any feedback or discussion related to the article – comment using the text box below.
Check out more of our phone plan analysis here:
- Best $10 Mobile Plan
- Best $15 Mobile Plan
- Best $20 Mobile Plan
- Best $30 Mobile Plan
- Best $40 Mobile Plan
- Best $50 Mobile Plan
- Best Value Pay as You Go (PAYG) Mobile Plans
- Month-to-Month Plans – Telstra v Optus v Vodafone
- Prepaid Mobile Cap Plans: Telstra v Optus v Vodafone
- Contract Phone Plans: Telstra v Optus v Vodafone